Saturday, September 7, 2013

[ grocery ] :: the week in review

Grocery shopping this week wasn't super amazing, but I did get enough food to make some delicious slow cooker meals and lunches next the week.

For some reason my friends are very curious about what we eat on such a "tiny budget" (I still think we spend too much!), so from now on I'll post what I actually spend on groceries, home supplies, household items, and personal items. Fun, right?

I also have been getting questions about what we eat on a daily basis. A few of my pals assumed that since I shop with coupons, we are living off of Mac n' Cheese and Hamburger Helper (barf!). I assure you, we eat a healthy, varied diet. Expect a post on that sometime soon!

First trip: Publix. Grocery: $12.05. Retail price: $23.41. These items were already on sale in the Publix weekly ad.



You're looking at 2 8 oz containers of mushrooms, 4 ears of corn, and 1 lb of plums (for me), and some goodies for The Hubs. I deviated from my list when I realized one of my coupons was not valid for the products on sale, so I took the opportunity to pick up some of The Hubs' favorites: tortilla chips, tea, Ragu, and Rice A Roni. He's an easy man to please.  

I also sent The Hubs to Publix this week for some bagged salad mix and corn, totaling $3.23. What a good sale shopper he is!


Next up, Aldi. Grocery: $35.31. I also picked up two bottles of Winking Owl Shiraz (Alcohol: $5.78) and some movie snacks for our Friday night date ($3.77). 


You can't see it, but the egg carton is almost empty. The Hubs made breakfast-for-dinner the other night for me and Gillybean before I could snap a photo. The absolute coolest thing I got was the 3.5 lb pack of Tyson Pork Shoulder for $2.79/lb. It's already marinated and you cook it in the bag! How easy is that? We will eat 4 or 6 oz servings at a time, so that pork will last 4 meals for the two of us, or about 2 dinners and 2 lunches each.

Keeping it healthy.

I stocked up on some of the sale items that I'll use in recipes this fall, and got a few cans of beans - we were really low on beans and I use them in almost all of my soup recipes. I freaking love beans and cannot live without them. Cantaloupe and watermelon were on sale too, and they'll be delicious for breakfast this week!

Aldi doesn't accept coupons, but their prices are way low. I recommend that you compare these prices to your regular store's prices. Is it really better? 

So, the budget breakdown: 

Grocery: $50.59 for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for 2 people plus food for the pantry
Alcohol: $5.78
Movie Candy: $3.77 - way cheaper than getting it at the theater! 






- Maggie White


No comments:

Post a Comment