Tuesday, September 24, 2013

[ recipe ] :: stupid easy ground beef

Again, does this even count as a recipe?

A few years ago, I was looking for a way to add more veggies to our diet and to stretch our budget by using less meat in my recipes. The first place I started was with the ground beef I use for our "Mexican night" meals. By adding diced, canned tomatoes to seasoned ground beef, I'm able to use about half of the meat I normally would and add twice the flavor. I quickly found that this method makes ground turkey taste more like the "real deal" and keeps it from drying out.

I make a big batch a the beginning of the week, and use the beef for tacos, enchiladas, salads, and even chili. This week, I used 2 pounds of lean ground beef and made tacos and spicy beef chili. All in all, one batch gave us 6 meals for the two of us (3 dinners and 3 lunches each).


Ingredients

1 lb ground beef or turkey (80% to 97% lean works best)
1 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained (plain, seasoned, or with green chiles)
1 taco seasoning packet

 Directions

Cook ground meat thoroughly and chop into crumbles. Drain thoroughly by placing cooked meat on a thick stack of paper towels. Pat with more paper towels to remove grease. Return the meat to a pan and add tomatoes and seasoning. Stir well and simmer for 2-3 minutes, or until the excess tomato juice cooks away.

Serve inside tacos, burritos, enchiladas, or on top of a taco salad! Leftovers are delicious added to chili.

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment