Wednesday, February 12, 2014

[ beauty ] :: things i will actually pay money for - Sephora edition

Ok y'all - I have a weakness for beauty products, and based on the blog views I get for posts like these, you do, too. I love experimenting with new products because I am constantly on the lookout for better things. I have incredibly dry and sensitive skin and find that many products suck the moisture out of my skin, leaving my face feeling drained and tight. I also have many long days and need my makeup to stay on all day, regardless of if I'm at work, running errands, riding a horse, or working out.

I signed up for the Sephora Beauty Insider program the other day to get free makeup on my birthday, and had some Sephora gift cards literally burning a hole in my pocket. This was the perfect excuse to splurge a teensy bit, use up those cards, and get a boatload of free samples and gifts-with-purchase!

With any purchase, Sephora gives you your choice of 3 free samples. With a $25 purchase, you get an additional deluxe sample or 1-year subscription to Allure magazine. With a $50 purchase, you get free shipping. You can bank extra freebies with the Beauty Insider program by accumulating points on your purchases.

With my gift cards in hand, I ordered my items from Sephora in three online transactions to maximize the freebies!

Transaction #1: 

I am in love with the items I purchased and couldn't be more pleased - the quality of these items are worth their cost (especially when you factor in the free goodies). Tweezing terrifies me, and The Hubs won't let me near his face with tweezers, so I picked up this Eyebrow Touch Up Razor Set ($15). Yes, they are pricey, but I had absolutely no skin irritation with them and based on the reviews they last a long time. I stocked up on my favorite Eyeko Skinny Liquid Liner ($16) in black - it doesn't smudge and is really easy to apply. If you can use a Sharpie, you can use this liner! It lasts forever as well - keep it moist and you can use it daily for over a year. I really like these Ribbon Hair Ties ($9 for 8) since they are gentle on my hair and look really cute! I have two or three that I've been using for the past two years and wanted some new colors. Finally, I purchased a new eyeshadow palette. I wanted some new neutrals to play with and took a chance with this Sephora Natural Instincts Eyeshadow Palette (was $28, now $15!). I am so glad I found this! I have been using it for the past week and love how versatile it is.


I also got my free gifts - a "Birthday Gift" from Benefit, two perfume samplers, and a sample of BB cream. I've been dying to try a BB cream but haven't been gutsy enough to actually buy one. This way, I can see if I even like the product before settling down on a brand. Not shown is the 1-year subscription to Allure magazine I got as my free gift!

Transaction #2:

This may be frowned upon (ok, it probably is), but I really wanted more samples and free gifts. Hah! So I placed another order. Sephora was having triple Beauty Rewards points for fragrances, so I picked up Amazing Grace Satin-Finish Body Oil Mist by Philosophy ($26). This is hands-down my favorite fragrance and I love the idea of a scented oil, especially in the winter. I have been lusting big time over this Beauty Express For Brows by Anastasia ($39.50) - how did I ever live without it? This kit comes with a set of stencils for your brows and you just fill in stencil over your brows with powder. Perfectly symmetrical and arched brows. every. time. It's quite a good deal for a starter-kit, since the individual components retail for over $60!



I chose some Glam Glow products and a CC cream for my free samples - again, I've been wanting to see what all the fuss is over CC and BB creams! I also got a little drawstring bag full of perfume samples. Does anyone else like trying different perfumes? I think it's a really fun way to change your mood for the day and deviate from your normal routine. This is about as exciting as I get - wearing a different perfume. Hah!

Transaction #3:

Alright - finally I got an item that has been on my wishlist forever. Last time I was visiting my family, I tried a teensy tiny bit of my sister's GlamGlow SuperMud. Sorry, I'm not sorry. It was magical. But this stuff costs $69 a bottle. Ridiculous! I combined what was left of my giftcard and purchased this GlamGlow GiftSexy Set ($69). It comes with a 1.2 oz size of SuperMud (normally $69 by itself) and 0.5 oz size of YouthMud (normally $19 by itself). This was motivation enough for me to bit the bullet and make the purchase.
 

I got the same CC cream and GlamGlow products as before, but added on a "premium sample" of Buxom Show Some Skin foundation. I think it should be enough for 3-4 applications.


All in all, I paid out of pocket for my GlamGlow set and got a ton of free samples and a magazine subscription. I feel pretty good about my purchases, since I am confident that they are good quality and will last a long, long time!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment