Monday, December 16, 2013

[ diy ] :: homemade cocoa gift jars

The Hubs and I wanted to get presents for our neighbors and coworkers this year, but let's face it - it's expensive. I wanted to spend less than $3 per person and give something that was thoughtful but practical, and wouldn't be something that would just "sit" around. We also had many people on our gift list that do not celebrate Christmas. Homemade cocoa fit my requirements perfectly! Who doesn't love chocolate and marshmallows?


I decided to DIY it and was very pleased with the outcome. The measurements don't have to be exact for it to turn out well!

Things you will need: 

8 ounce jelly jars
Baking Cocoa
Sugar
Marshmallows
Decorations: colored paper, ribbon, and candy canes

Instructions: 

In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of baking cocoa with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of marshmallows. Stir well, and add mixture to the jelly jars (4 cups of the mixture will fill about 8 jars). Add a circle of colored paper to the top of the lid and tie on a candy cane as decoration.

This cocoa is best enjoyed in milk (for hot chocolate) or coffee (for a mocha). I'm glad I didn't use powdered milk - it turns out that we have a few coworkers that can't have dairy. I think I ended up spending $35 on 30 gifts and still have sugar and jelly jars leftover, so this project came in well under-budget!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment