Saturday, August 31, 2013

[ grocery ] :: weekly deals sneak peek!

It's a brand new week of grocery deals! Here are some of my picks for items that I'll be stocking up on. Go to Southern Savers to see other deals - maybe there is something you need on sale!

Aldi: Weekly ad here. There are some good prices on foods that I use often, like salsa verde (for my Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken), diced green chiles, and spicy canned tomatoes. Tyson pork shoulder is also on sale on Wednesday, so I think we'll be having pork carnitas soon! Remember: Aldi does not accept coupons, and you need to bring your own bags and a quarter! See my guide here.

Fit & Active Low Fat Pumpkin Pie Yogurt: $0.39
Benita Chopped Green Chiles: $0.69
Benita Salsa Verde: $1.69
Benita Mexican Fiesta Diced Tomatoes: $0.59
Casa Mamita Mexican Style Seasonings: $0.59
Tyson Pork Shoulder: $2.79/lb
Bananas: $0.44/lb
Avocados: $0.69 each
Grapes: $0.88/lb
Cantaloupes: $1.19 each
Mangoes: $0.49 each
Plums or nectarines: $0.29 each

Hooray! 'Tis the season for pumpkin everything! The pork shoulder isn't at a rock-bottom price, but it's good enough to get around 3 lbs to make a few dinners. You can bet that  I'll buy 5 cans each of the tomatoes, green chiles, and salsa verde. Or maybe more of the salsa verde...it's usually $3 or $4 at Publix, so this way I can make Salsa Verde Chicken more often this fall and winter! Last time bananas were on sale I bought 10 pounds, so I'm not too sure we need more bananas just yet.

Kroger: Weekly ad here. Get your chicken! Grilling season is coming to a close, and there is a great deal right now for chicken thighs and drumsticks. Chicken thighs freeze well and are wonderful in the slow cooker or on the grill. There is also a "Buy 5 Save $5" deal going on - when you buy any 5 participating items you get $1 off each item. Check for coupons on these items to save even more!

Kroger Chicken Drumsticks (or Thighs): $0.99/lb
Tyson Split Chicken Breasts (bone-in): $1.49/lb
Red or Black Plums: $1.69/lb (about 4 medium sized plums)
Kroger Cheese: $1.88 (6 or 8 oz package)
Yoplait Yogurt: $0.50 each - buy 6 and use a $0.40 off coupon (it will double to $0.80) to get 6 yogurts for $0.36 each. Printable coupons here, here, and here.

Old Spice, Gillette, or Secret Deodorant: $2.29 each - find a $1 off coupon in the P&G insert in tomorrow's paper or load one to your Kroger Plus Card for $0.50 off Gillette deodorant or $1 off 2 Old Spice deodorants. eCoupons do not double. The best deal is a $6 off 3 Gillette coupon from the 8/11 coupon inserts, making them $0.29 each.

Buy 5 Save $5: I didn't see anything that I'm terribly excited about. However, Bounty and Tide are included! Check your Sunday paper tomorrow 9/1 for the newest  P&G Coupon Insert. There is almost always a coupon for these products!

To give you an idea of what I look for, I don't buy bone-in chicken unless it's $1.49 or less. The chicken is still a great deal, but boneless/skinless chicken breasts cost a bit more because they require more butchering. I prepare my chicken when I get home and repackage or freeze it, and I think the bones give more flavor, especially for slow cooked or grilled meals. I buy yogurt when it is $0.40 or less (The Hubs will eat 1 or 2 a day!), and cheese when it is around $1.80/block. The Hubs also goes through quite a bit of deodorant, so I stock up on that when it is less than $1. If I can find that $6/3 coupon then he will be using Gillette for a while.

If you have questions about your coupons, or where to find them, please comment below. Happy savings!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment