Tuesday, September 3, 2013

[ home ] :: poppin' tags + a mirror makeover

Ok, so there were no tags to be popped this week, but check out this mirror I got for under $5 for my guest room! It needed something so our guests won't have to run up and down the hall just to look at their reflection. More specifically, I wanted a white mirror that would fit on an odd portion of the wall. However, I was not about to shell out $20+ at TJMaxx for a mirror.

I found this thing at Goodwill. It was beat up. Dirty. Plastic gold. It was perfect.




Perfect for a can of white spray paint, I mean! First, I taped off the glass and covered it with newspaper. Then I put it on a cardboard box, and sprayed away using multiple, thin coats of paint. I used a can of white Valspar paint that is formulated for painting plastic. Easy-peasy!


Here she is in all her glory. My $5 mirror:






I just noticed that the mirror is hella dirty - how did my dad manage to make it so gnarly the one day he visited? Oh well! In the picture you can also see the Pottery Barn quilt my grandmother got me before I went to college, the free artwork that Pottery Barn sent me by mistake (they sent the same thing twice - lucky!), and the crown molding and hardwood floors we painstakingly installed ourselves when we renovated our house last year. Being cheap is fun!

I can't wait to find more cheap goodies! Goodwill is hit or miss, but sometimes you can find great items that suit your needs.

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment