Saturday, October 12, 2013

[ grocery ] :: the week in review

Ok, kids - I only spent a teeny tiny bit of money this week on groceries. I had some Target gift cards I received from previous gift card deals, so I only paid for my groceries at Publix. Read here to see how The Hubs and I did it.

The down side: I went to Starbucks this week and paid $4.81 for a Grande Green Tea Frappuccino and died a little bit on the inside when I realized it cost as much as my trip to Publix that day.

So, without further ado, here's all of the cheap stuff I got this week!

First Publix trip: The Hubs helped me out with this one. He loves Listerine Zero, so when I told him we could get a liter of it for $0.99 he was totally on board. I ran out of aluminum foil (holy cow, that stuff is expensive), plastic wrap, and oregano. Personal Care: $2.97. Retail: $14.97.  Home Supplies: $9.98 (retail). Grocery: $2.89 (retail). If I was smarter, I would have gotten more Listerine when they had it at such a low price! It was on sale for $3.99, and I had a $2 off manufacturer's coupon and a $1 off store coupon, for a total of $0.99 each. Winning!


Second Publix trip: I went on Thursday and got the Publix Penny Item (coffee). Read about this sale here - it ends 10/16. Grocery: $0.80. Retail: $9.12. Personal Care: $4.00. Retail: $11.80. I'll be going back with The Hubs later to get 10 more boxes of pasta ($0.23 each), some of which we will be donating to the yearly food drive at work.



Finally, Target. The checkout lady was impressed with how cheap I got all of these items, and was tickled when I paid for it all with a Target gift card. I did one trip by myself, and then another with The Hubs when we were on our date Friday.

First trip: everything shown in the pictures, plus 2 Dole Fruit Smoothie Shakers. I uses Target mobile coupons plus manufacturer's coupons and printable Target coupons to get everything super duper cheap. Grocery: $3.44. Retail: $9.10. Personal Care: $7.91. Retail: $25.92. Home Supplies: -$0.13. Retail: $2.74.


Second trip - we got more bananas, some baby carrots, wheat bread, and two more Dial for Men liquid soaps. Grocery: $1.44. Retail:  $4.44. Personal Care: $1.08. Retail: $5.98.


We mostly ate the meat and veggies I already had on hand, which is why I was able to conserve my spending this week. Also, keep in mind I had those gift cards to Target, so I'm not including those purchases in my weekly total!

Grocery: $3.69
Personal Care: $6.97
Home Supplies: $9.98

I'm feeling cheap this week, and it feels nice!

- Maggie White

Update: You may have noticed that I've been stocking up on shampoo, soap, and other personal care and dental items. I'm in the middle of figuring out how much we use per month, but any excess will be donated.

No comments:

Post a Comment