Thursday, October 10, 2013

[ home ] :: cleaning schedule

Since we are super busy in the fall, especially in the middle of the semester and through the holidays, I had to devise some sort of cleaning schedule to keep my house in a livable condition. We had gotten into the habit of doing all of the cleaning on Saturday afternoon (what a waste of a day!), or scrambling to tidy up before friends came over. I don't know about you, but this causes me a lot of stress!

For our own mental health, The Hubs and I decided to divide up our chores into manageable pieces each day. First, we made a list of everything that needed to be done and picked our chores. Luckily, my chores take ~15 minutes each day, unless I find myself sorting a mountain of laundry. Word to the wise: watch Hoarders on TV while you fold laundry...it makes you feel like a domestic goddess!

To give you an idea of my daily and weekly cleaning schedule...

Monday :: 
- sweep downstairs
- light dusting
- wipe dog slobber off of windows (the pups like to nose-paint)

Tuesday :: 
- wash towels, sheets, bedding
- collect trash

Wednesday :: garbage day!
- sweep upstairs (yes, again...dog hair is nasty)
- wipe down bathroom counters, sinks, toilet, etc.
- pick up around house

Thursday :: 
- wash clothes
- vacuum rugs

Friday :: 
- sweep and mop entire house
- light dusting
- deep clean kitchen...with bleach. I like bacteria, just not in my kitchen.

Saturday :: 
- fridge...check for expired food
- pick up around house

Sunday :: 
- yardwork! 

I don't know if you know what "picking up" is...perhaps it's a Southern thing...but it means that you take all of the crap you have laying around, and put it up where it belongs. I carry around a BIG basket and gather things up as I walk around the house. 

Once a month I do a deep-cleaning and clean all of the nooks and crannies...under furniture, around the baseboards, and light fixtures/fans. The Hubs' favorite thing to do is vacuum the air vents and the spider webs on the porch outside...I don't know why, but he has an agenda against dust webs! I'm one lucky gal...

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment