Friday, November 8, 2013

[ home ] :: diy recycled glass candle holder

Hey guys - I'm doing another Pinterest project!




There are two things I love: saving money and making things. This project was perfect because it combines both and is super fast and easy to complete.

What to do with the glass that it came in? I thought I would make a votive holder!

I've had my eye on these glasses from C. Wonder for a hot minute but I'm too poor to dish out $48 for a set of 4 glasses. How cool would something like this be for a candle, though?

http://www.cwonder.com/Categories/Home-%26-Decor/Tabletop/Golden-DOF-Glasses-Set/product/CW-H-CO-TT-G-1F.html
Golden Stripe Glassware, $48

So, I pulled up a Pinterest post on "Jars for Things" from the blog Yellow Brick Home (my newest obsession, by the way), and followed her instructions for removing the leftover wax. First, I boiled water in my tea kettle and poured it into the candle holder. Then (important!) I let it cool and harden. Most of the wax came out then, but I used my handy-dandy toothbrush and some dish soap to scrub out the rest of the debris.

Next up, I laid out my design for my candle holder. The first thing I did was tape around the edges of the glass with blue painter's tape, then filled the inside with newspaper and taped it securely. This way, the paint won't get on the inside or bottom of the glass (unless you want it to!). I wanted to make stripes like on the glass above, but I got too lazy. I figure that I'll make another candle holder soon anyway.


Finally, I took my holder outside and gave it three very light spritzes with gold spray paint. If you go too thick with the paint, it may cause it to pull off with the tape. Patience!


Voila! My votive holder. I placed three LED votives inside (fire and I don't always mix).



- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment