Wednesday, December 11, 2013

[ misc ] :: holiday giving

We had a nice, relaxing weekend. Aside from watching football, The Hubs was busy battling the barrage of leaves that have infiltrated "his yard" and he forced me I helped him clean out the garage. We took a carload of clothing and household items to Wellspring Living, a nearby charity that helps girls and women who are survivors of sexual abuse and exploitation.


I had seen the Wellspring Thrift Store whenever I drove down Buford Highway, but I never really knew what the charity was for. It wasn't until we held a garage sale this spring that I got a chance to talk to one of the Wellspring volunteers. I can't express how shocked and saddened I was to learn that Wellspring helps many girls in the Atlanta area who are victims of child sex trafficking and exploitation. I feel like anything sexual, even an organization that helps victims of abuse, is a taboo topic - not exactly something your sorority chapter, workplace, or Junior League rallies behind as their philanthropy project (at least not any that I know of - if you do, please direct me to them!).

And now, some statistics:
  • 100 girls under the age of 18 are raped for profit on a typical night in Georgia. (According to the Georgia Governor’s Office for Children and Families CSEC tracking study)
  • The average life expectancy of a girl in forced prostitution is seven years with homicide or HIV/AIDS as the main causes of death. (Shared Hope International, July 2007)
  • Atlanta is one of the top 14 cities in the US for sex trafficking according to the 2005 FBI Status Report.
  • The average age of a child first used in prostitution is 11 to 14, with some as young as 9 years of age. (2005 FBI Status Report)

I hope those made you incredibly sad, because when I first read them I started crying and The Hubs looked at me like I was nutty.

Wellspring has two very well-run thrift stores in the Duluth area - one for typical "thrift" items, and one for higher-end merchandise. The Hubs and I chose to donate in support of Wellspring because we believe in the work they are doing. I strongly suggest you consider donating to them the next time you clean out your closets!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment