Thursday, January 23, 2014

[ garden ] :: what to plant in january/february

If you live in the Southeast, then spring is just 8 weeks away. Can you believe it? That means it's time to start germinating seeds indoors, and to begin planning a spring garden. If you live outside of the Southeast, or aren't sure of your growing zone, then check out this resource from The Farmer's Almanac.

If you are starting seeds indoors, you will need four things: good quality (sterile) seed-starting soil, moisture, warmth (for germination), and bright sunlight or grow lights. The seeds need to be at a temperature of 75-85 degrees during the germination period, when light intensity is not important. However, once the seedlings emerge they need to be moved to a slightly cooler temperature (70 degrees would be ideal) with bright light. Seedlings grown in dim light tend to be "leggy" and not as lush. Start your indoor seeds at these times, and transplant according to the directions on the seed packet (usually 6-10 weeks):

Mid/Late January: I started my eggplant and peppers on 01/19
Celery
Eggplant
Leeks
Peppers

Early/Mid February:
Cabbage
Collard Greens
Lettuce
Tomatoes (I'm starting mine Jan. 31st)

Mid/Late February:
Broccoli
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Kale
Melons

When starting seeds outdoors before the last frost date, it is important to follow your seed packet directions. If it gets too terribly cold at night, cover the seeds/seedlings with a sheet or frost blanket. Once my seedlings emerge, I fluff a layer of pine straw (in abundance here) or leaf litter around them for insulation. Make sure to water mid-morning so the water has time to drip through the soil - otherwise it may freeze on top of the ground!

Mid/Late February:
Peas
Swiss Chard

Late February:
Carrots
Kale
Onions

I think I'll be growing my peas in containers this year...if I can get The Hubs to help me clear out a space for them. I have sugar-snap peas and shelling peas this year.

Happy gardening!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment