Friday, March 7, 2014

[ garden ] :: update

Ok guys, I have been slack with my blog posts this week. I had a craptastic week and am so freakin' happy that spring break is next week! So here's what has gone down in my free time this week...

...I revived my winter garden and transplanted some Swiss chard, kale, garlic, and Brussels sprouts that survived our freakish ice storms, or that the Demon Dogs didn't devour. Further proof that my angelic-looking beagles are really demonic: the garlic repels them! Hah!


I was ecstatic when I saw that my sprouts were sprouting and growing! Then, the next day...


...well...the dogs say that they were delicious. Emma loves Brussels sprouts so I should have known better, but I didn't think she would eat them raw. So far, that cruciferous-veggie-loving-dog has eaten my broccoli, cauliflower, and sprouts. Norman ate my strawberries last year. Grr! Side note: I started installing a garden fence today. The Hubs mandated it...he says it's about damn time for one.

Other than my canine-shenanigans, I purchased a 4' x 4' cedar garden bed (on sale!) and planted (left) "Tristan" strawberries (they have pink flowers and send out less runners than normal), (middle) yellow onions, (right) garlic transplants, and radishes.


I also amended the soil in the other front garden bed and planted (from left) Super Sugar Snap peas, Swiss Chard transplants, Easy Peasy peas, and Scarlet Nantes carrots.

 

I've been busy-busy in the garden, so expect some more blog posts on that, as well as some gardening how-to guides. My cooking has been super boring this week, but I do have a new recipe (or two) lined up for next week!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment