Tuesday, March 11, 2014

[ recipe ] :: breakfast egg casserole

We were so brain-fried last week, we needed a dinner that could be easily tossed together and made great leftovers. I had my usual food staples on hand - eggs, milk, bread, cheese, turkey sausage - and voila! Breakfast casserole.

My mom sent me this recipe and I honestly cannot say where it originated. It has been floating around as an email attachment for years, but it has stood the test of time (any many brunches). Serve with a big salad, full of seasonal fruit and a light vinaigrette.


Ingredients

8 eggs
1 lb sausage (any variety, but I prefer a sweet turkey sausage)
2 cups milk
4 slices of bread, crust removed and cubed into 1/2" pieces
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dry mustard, or 1 tbsp mustard

Optional: Instead of sausage, add ham or bacon. For a vegetarian version, add sauteed mushrooms (8 oz), spinach (2 cups) and onion (1/2 medium, diced). A spicy Italian sausage with sauteed red peppers and onion would be an amazing Italian twist!

Directions

Preheat oven to 350. Spritz a 9" x 13" dish with cooking spray, or grease with butter or oil. Beat together eggs, milk, salt, and mustard. Layer the bread, sausage (or other filling), and a sprinkle of cheese on the bottom of the dish (confession: I threw it all in haphazardly and it turned out fine). Pour the egg mixture on top and sprinkle the top with more cheese. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes, or until the egg is set.

This recipe is SO versatile. My mom makes it the night before it will be served and refrigerates it overnight, or freezes it ahead of time (thaw overnight before cooking). I made it immediately after putting it together, baked it, and froze half for The Hubs to have for lunch next week. I cut it into squares and put each one into Ziploc freezer bags so he could grab one to nuke in the microwave for lunch.

I made a berry salad to go with this meal and had too much fun playing with colors...



I tossed together some redleaf lettuce, blackberries, strawberries, and pomegranate vinaigrette to pair with the casserole.



So delicious! If you don't like bread, I would imagine that it could be left out and this dish would be more like a frittata. Yum! Comfort food at its finest.

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment