Saturday, April 5, 2014

[ garden ] :: weekly harvest - april week 1

I thought that since I take a bajillion photos of what I pick from the garden anyway, it would be fun to share my "harvests" and keep track of how much we actually grow in our little garden.

The herbs that are planted around the stone garden beds were in need of a serious attitude adjustment (they are enjoying this weather a little too much) and I gave them all a good trim. Even the oregano that was planted just a few weeks ago is growing like a weed, and the mint has popped back with a vengeance. Between pulling up stray runners of mint and pinching off new growth (this keeps them bushy), I managed to cut off a lot of apple mint and bergamot (bee balm). Boy, did they make for some delicious infused iced water!


All in all, three huge handfuls of trimmings resulted in just over two ounces of herbs! Can you believe that? We picked our first bowl of greens - a mix of mesclun, romaine, kale, arugula, spinach, and baby Swiss Chard. The flavor of fresh greens is amazing...it doesn't compare to the bagged crap from the grocery store.




Apple Mint: 1.55 oz
Bee Balm: 0.60 oz
Salad Greens: 1.05 oz

The lemon thyme will get a massive haircut next week - I wonder what I can make with it? Plus, I think it's time the Swiss Chard got chopped back a bit...yum.

Gardening is a delicious hobby.

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment