Tuesday, May 20, 2014

[ entertainment ] :: washington farms in loganville ga

I woke up bright and early this morning to go to Washington Farms in Loganville to pick strawberries with my neighbor - what a treat! We rolled in as they were opening around 8:00 am and went straight to picking. It was foggy and cool this morning, but the dampness didn't stop us from searching through the dense rows for berries!



With the rain and cold weather over the weekend, it was slim pickins' but we made due!


After 30 or so minutes of picking, we made off like bandits with a gallon of strawberries each. The pick your own berries are just $12 per gallon, and my neighbor was gracious enough to pay for mine! When I got home I went straight to weighing them, and even after eating quite a few I measured out five pounds of fresh berries. And then I ate some more. The smell was absolutely irresistible and the flavor doesn't even compare to grocery store strawberries.


I'm absolutely going back once the farm opens up again - perhaps this weekend! I'm itching to bake a strawberry crisp (or a pie, if I can find some rhubarb). This is a fabulous deal on in-season produce and is really a fun activity. Maybe The Hubs and I will make a date of it and hit up Waffle House before hand. :)

- Maggie White


No comments:

Post a Comment