Monday, May 19, 2014

[ home ] :: landscaping gives me gray hairs

Why am I getting so stressed out about landscaping the front yard? Because I want it to be perfect? Because shrubs are freaking expensive and I don't want them all to die?

A few weeks ago I posted about the utter annihilation that occurred in my front yard. The Hubs and I were toying with the idea of planting a tree and installing some foundation shrubs but decided, "not yet," and left it at that. Until Friday.

Pike Nursery (I love them!) was having a 20% off Customer Appreciation event on Saturday for their "Play in the Dirt Club" members. 20% off shrubs? Heck yes! Pike is a little more pricey than say, Home Depot or Lowes, but they carry high-quality plants from Monrovia and other local nurseries and they give a lifetime guarantee on shrubs and trees. That means that you can save your receipt, and in two years when your Hubs runs over part of a bush with the lawnmower (true story!) you can have it replaced. Amazing, right?

Here is what I have picked out for our foundation planting, which is about a 20' x 8' bed that runs along the front of our house's 8' tall foundation wall (seriously - why did the builder have to do that?).

For against the wall - a tall, evergreen shrub: Camellias! We already have four of them in front, so we will add to them. This is a "Bonanza Camellia," a type of Camellia sasanqua that can tolerate some sun. It reaches a maximum height of 5 feet tall, so it's perfect - it should grow right below our windows.

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/613/bonanza-camellia/
 Image c/o Monrovia.com

The Camellias will be a nice backdrop for...Limelight Hydrangeas! These plants are gorgeous and I am a total sucker for hydrangeas. They do get taller than the camellias (6-8 feet tall) but I should have no problem pruning them as they bloom in the summer. It's just an excuse to have fresh hydrangea flowers scattered around the house!

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/3049/limelight-hardy-hydrangea/
 Image c/o Monrovia.com

Finally, I'm copying my inspiration pictures and planting a low hedge of boxwood in front. I'm dreaming of the day when they hydrangeas try to dramatically spill over the hedge! I may have to suck it up and get the boxwood from Home Depot (where I originally bought some of them) to make sure I get the same species - there are so many to choose from!

Next year (or whenever they go on sale) I may plant some creeping phlox in front of the boxwood as a groundcover. I don't adore phlox like I do other plants, but it does very well in our yard. I think it would look great in the spring with some daffodils sprouting between them!

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1631/cotton-candy-creeping-phlox/
 Image c/o Monrovia.com

Boy, do I have my work cut out for me. Why do I do this to myself?

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment