Saturday, May 17, 2014

[ garden ] :: weekly harvest - may week 2

Whoo! I got a new toy in the mail this week - a TubTrug. This little thing is perfect for toting tools around the yard and for harvesting my veggies. I have a colander on order that should arrive next week. It allows you to fill the TubTrug with water in order to wash the harvest as you pick.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UJWNX8/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
TubTrug 3.5 Gallon Storage Bucket - $7.80 Amazon

With the spike in temperature over the past two weeks, the sugar snap peas began to thicken up a lot and their production slowed down. I'll probably pick the rest later this week once they mature a little more.


Most of the lacinato kale was harvested (there is one lone survivor in the okra bed) and I picked a few leaves of curly blue kale and swiss chard for omelets this weekend. It just got too hot for the poor lacinato kale, but the other kale is doing fine! Update: It got snacked on by one of the dogs. The chard is holding on despite the heat (probably because it is so shaded by the mass of peas around it).I did cut some chard for a friend's Guinea pig, but I won't count that in my total. :)

Radishes: 4.50 oz
Sugar Snap Peas: 9.85 oz
Shelling Peas: 3.15 oz
Spring Onions: 1.60 oz
Kale: 3.15 oz
Swiss Chard: 2.25 oz

Oregano: 0.45 oz
Parsley: 0.95 oz
Cilantro: 0.50 oz
Mint: 1.10 oz
Chives: 0.35 oz
Basil: 0.85 oz

I am really enjoying using up these veggies in the kitchen since I get to explore new recipes! Gardening is a delicious hobby.


- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment