Thursday, August 29, 2013

[ grocery ] :: back to Publix for emergency deodorant + $0.01 toilet paper

I have lost my darn mind. Publix starts their weekly sales on Thursday and I have gone there a second time this week to score some cheap groceries. Why? So I can get toilet paper for a penny. Oh, and deodorant because I'm out and I hate smelling stanky.

Every week, Publix publishes a "Penny Item" that is valid on the first day of their weekly sale. Here in the Metro Atlanta area, it's on Thursday for most stores. However, you do need the Penny Item coupon, located in the Living section of the AJC. (Note: sometimes the AJC has a $5 off Publix coupon, too!) So, in order to get the Penny Item for the week you need your coupon and you have to spend $10 in groceries before coupons. Easy-peasy!


This week's Penny Item is Publix Greenwise Toilet Paper 4-pack, limit 1. Not the best toilet paper, but it's nice to have some extra around the house. Just in case. Nothing is worse than a TP emergency!

If you want to see how I found the deals and coupons to match, check out Southern Savers.



Grocery: $3.52. Retail price: $15.67. These items were already on sale in the Publix weekly ad and I had coupons for them. By combining a store deal with a coupon you save even more money.


1 Sabra Hummus 4 pk.: $1.99 - $1.00 off coupon = $0.99 (or $0.25 per snack cup)
1 I Can't Believe Its Not Butter! Tub: $1.23 - $1.00 off coupon = $0.23
1 French's Classic Yellow Mustard: $0.94 - $0.30 off coupon - $0.30 doubled coupon = $0.34
4 Uncle Ben's Country Inn Rice: $0.74 each ($2.96) - $1.00 off coupon = $1.96 ($0.49 each)
1 Uncle Ben's Rice Cup: FREE with coupon ($1.40 value)
 
Personal Items: $3.99. Retail price: $7.99. The Hubs will be thankful.

Home Supplies: $6.32. Retail price: $8.91. 


1 Secret Clinical Strength Deodorant: $9.99 - $2.00 off coupon - $2.00 off Publix coupon = $5.99
1 Publix Greenwise Toilet Paper: $0.01 with coupon
1 Publix Sandwich Bags: $1.47
1 Publix Freezer Quart Bags: $2.99
1 Publix Freezer Gallon Bags: $1.85

My real reason for a Publix trip: deodorant. I've been using a sample sized deodorant I got for free and it is NOT cutting it. I also ran out of plastic storage bags this week...I've been freezing too many fruits and veggies! The Hubs loves boxed rice mix so I grab those whenever they are $0.50 or less, and with our neighborhood cookout coming up the mustard will be a good addition to the items I signed up to bring.

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment