Friday, September 6, 2013

[ entertainment ] :: friday fun!

The Hubs and I are going on a date! A real date!

Can you tell that I'm excited? The other night, we were talking about what to do this weekend:

Mags: What do you want to do on Friday night?

Hubs: Why don't we go out on the cheap. See what I did there?

I did. I jumped up and kissed him on the cheek, almost causing him to bump into the grill and catch himself on fire.

Our plans for the night include going to the movies, using our $5 Groupon deal for Studio Movie Grill, to see The World's End. But will we be eating at SMG? Hellz no. Not unless I sneak in some movie candy or a bag of popcorn from home (The Hubs hates when I do this, but I already have 2 chocolate bars and a huge bag of Twizzlers for us to share). Note: SMG does have a 2 for $25 deal now - 2 entrees and an appetizer. Not bad! Try the Margherita Pizza - it's my favorite.


We will be eating at Park Cafe in Duluth using a Restaurant.com certificate. The menu looks very fancy-schmancy and delicious. This will be our first time there, so I have a $25 off certificate to use. It cost $10 for the $25 certificate, so it's really only $15 off our meal. But - there are no restrictions other than a $50 minimum on your meal. Hello, vino!



So how much will our date cost? Here's the breakdown:

Movie tickets: $10 (no concessions - just water)
Dinner: $10 (for the certificate) + $25 + tax + 20% gratuity (~$48.50)

How much would our date cost without the deals I got? 

Movie tickets: $21 (should I mention that The Hubs would want to order popcorn, too?)
Dinner: $50 + tax + 20% gratuity (~$63.50)

Overall, that's a savings of $26, or 30%. Not bad for a night out on the town!

- Maggie White

Update: Park Cafe was absolutely delicious and worth every penny. We immediately bought another Restaurant.com certificate (and got Swagbucks at the same time...of course) and are planning to go back in a few weeks for lunch. The next time my parents are in town, we'll take them there for a fancy-schmancy dinner. The Hubs also enjoyed The Worlds End - he was laughing almost the whole time!

No comments:

Post a Comment