Saturday, September 14, 2013

[ grocery ] :: the week in review

I stocked up big time on meat and some other panty staples. We're still eating our way through the melon and pork roast that I bought last week, so I saved a lot of these items for later. Our fridge and freezer are literally overflowing with food, so it looks like we'll be eating what we have on hand. 

First trip: Publix. Grocery: $2.00. Retail price: $4.38 These items were already on sale in the Publix weekly ad, and I used a coupon to save even more money.


The Hubs was so excited that I brought home Ragu last week, I went back and got two more for him. And then we went back again to pick up dog food (Pet Food: $35.99), a few bottles of dish detergent on sale (Home Supplies: $4.78), and transmission fluid (Auto: $3.99). Funny story: the car dealership would have charged $100+ to exchange The Hubs' power steering fluid in his BMW. Some quick research (and a quick flip through the Haynes handbook) revealed that it's just plain ol' transmission fluid for his car. Seriously? 

Overall, not too bad for our monthly budget.

Next up, Kroger. Grocery: $30.51  Retail: $55.18.




Check out that thick-cut bacon for $1.99, and turkey bratwurst for $2.09. The Hubs loved the sausage, and even helped me freeze what we didn't eat for lunch. We also froze 2.5 lbs of bacon, and saved a half pound for a "Breakfast for Dinner" night. I also got two bags of peas, 3.5 lbs of chicken breasts, 3.5 lbs of pears, and...


...five pounds of pork loin. Beautiful, juicy, lean pork loin! I'll be chopping this into one-pound pieces, which will make 4 servings of meat for us (or about 2 meals each). If my calculations are correct, that means that I got 20 servings of meat for $9.00, which comes out to $0.45 per serving. #winning


Still not done yet! I sent The Hubs to Aldi, Grocery: $14.29.  


Not included in the picture below:



Sneaky Hubs. I see what you did there. Meat Snack Sticks? Hah.

So, the budget breakdown:

Grocery: $46.86 for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks for 2 people plus food for the pantry and freezer
Pet Food: $35.99 this will last my Demon Dogs a month or more
Home Supplies: $4.78
Auto: $3.99

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment