Thursday, October 17, 2013

[ fashion ] :: alterations!

I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, so I promise I'm not bragging, but since January of this year I've lost approximately 40 pounds. Go me! (Ok, so I am a little braggy.)

Losing weight has made me feel better about myself, while teaching myself how to have more self-discipline and becoming physically stronger. It has been an amazing experience, but the down side of it all is that many of my beautiful clothes didn't fit anymore.

Solution: alterations.

In some instances, it was not worth my time or money to have my clothes altered. T-shirts, Old Navy jeans, and inexpensive clothing was either sold at our garage sale or donated to charity. Some clothes were just way too big (a size 16 when I really needed a size 10), and were donated, too.

Alterations can range anywhere from $10 (taking up a hem) to $50 (altering a blazer or dress), so you have to choose wisely when selecting your clothes to take in. Keep in mind that the more complicated or labor-intensive the alteration is, the more it will cost. In some situations, it's less expensive to replace the clothing entirely than pay for it to be altered.

For example: I had a pair of wool dress pants from Talbots that I paid $35 for on sale. Would I pay $35 to have them taken in? No. I just went and bought another pair at the Talbots outlet...for $17.99.

However, I did have some "investment pieces" of clothing that weren't so big that they couldn't be taken in. These items were an amazing steal when I bought them and are super-duper flattering.

Like this J.Crew schoolboy blazer I got last year - it was originally $198 and I got it for $69...in a tall size! It's actually long enough for my monkey arms. I have it in two colors and wear them all the darn time. Will I ever get a deal like that again? Nope.


Or this Kate Spade dress - originally $298, I got it for around $80 if I remember correctly. It is conservative enough for work, but ultra-flattering! One of my favorite dresses. Of All Time. It's a little hard to see, but there is a big bow on the front and it has pockets!!!


I am straight-up in love with the lady who does my alterations. We consider her a family friend and she is a miracle worker - really, I think she has an amazing God-given talent for dressmaking and alterations. As I re-organize my closet this week, I find more and more things that need to be taken in...I'll be paying her another visit soon!

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment