Wednesday, October 23, 2013

[ health ] :: sore muscle soak

I have decided that household chemicals are fun and exciting to play with. The possibilities are endless.
 
The following recipe makes a very effective soak for sore muscles, sprains, strains, and bruises - just don't use it on irritated or broken skin and follow the directions for proper usage on each product's packaging.

You'll need: 

magnesium sulfate (MgSO4) :: epsom salt

Epsom salt is commonly used as an ingredient in bath salts and soaks. I love this stuff and have used it for years on both myself and on horses to reduce swelling. I keep a huge container of it next to my bath tub and add it to my water frequently. The magnesium (Mg) in epsom salt can be absorbed by the skin, where it helps to reduce tissue inflammation and its associated pain.

Magic ingredient #1.

sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) :: baking soda

A big box of baking soda is another staple of my bathroom. Not only does it soothe minor skin irritations, itching, and neutralizes the skin's pH, it also makes you skin feel amazingly soft. (And has the added bonus of cleaning your tub as you soak!) Should I mention that its a natural cleaning agent, and will leave your tub sparkling clean? 'Nuff said.

Magic ingredient #2.

other stuff :: 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 2-3 green tea bags, essential oils, or bubble bath. My favorite is a few drops of Philosophy's Amazing Grace bubble bath. If you need a morning pick-me-up (sometimes I'm sore the morning after a workout), try adding 2-3 drops of lemon extract for some "zing" in the A.M.



directions :: While your bath tub is filling with the hottest water you can stand, add 1 cup each of epsom salt and baking soda. Add your 'other stuff' as desired. Soak after exercise or mild injury (or whenever you need to unwind!) for 30-40 minutes, and make sure to drink plenty of water afterwards! Repeat once per week. 

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment