Thursday, March 27, 2014

[ garden ] :: indoor no-fuss succulent garden

I was reading my favorite blog the other day and noticed that the author also wrote an article on How to Create a Table Top Succulent Garden. I have been itching to make one of my own, and every time I go to the garden center or the hardware store there are the succulents...just staring at me, saying, "take me home!" So this time, I did.


I have grown succulents before with great success, but here are a few tips that will help you out as you grow your own. First of all, pick any container you like. As long as you put large pebbles and stones at the bottom for drainage, you don't need a drainage hole! This means that you can grow succulents in adorable containers like teacups, old shoes, or a simple terra cotta dish ($19.99, Home Depot).



I followed Mavis' advice from the eHow guide and my little tabletop garden came out beautifully!

1. Fill your container about halfway up with polished stones. I found a 3 pound bag of them in the houseplant section of the garden center for $7.99.



2. Place your succulents in the container and figure out where they should go. Use caution - they are very fragile! I purchased a variety of succulents, and each one ranged in price from $1.98 - $4.99, depending on the size and variety.

3. Fill in any gaps with a potting soil made especially for growing cactus ($5). It will drain better and not hold onto as much moisture as regular potting soil. You may need to make little mounds of soil to elevate some of your smaller succulents, or to hold them in place.

4. Fill in spaces with more rocks if needed. I just filled them in with more soil since my succulents were packed in there pretty well.

5. Water a tiny bit. I sprinkled on enough water to set the soil in place before moving it to the kitchen table.

To care for your succulents, you will only need to water once every 2-4 weeks. Use a spray bottle and give the soil a good mist, or carefully sprinkle water. Over time, your succulents will grow and will need to be divided, especially Hens and Chicks - they will make little "baby" succulents that you can carefully remove and replant in another container.

This project can cost a lot up front, but with a little TLC you can multiply these succulents and produce more over time. That's an investment I like! In total, I spent about $70 on this project. The container is quite large, about 14" in diameter, so if you start with a smaller container (or one you already have) then it will be much more economical. While I was out shopping, there were pre-made succulent gardens on sale. Guess how much they were selling those for? $229! For the same size that I made. How crazy is that?



I know that some of you, dear friends, cannot garden or grow a plant to save your life. Well guess what? You can grow succulents. All they need is a sunny (or part-sun) location indoors, a spritz of water every so often, and to be divided once a year. That's it. Seriously...you can't kill them. If you somehow manage to, let me know and I will give you an award. ;)

- Maggie White

No comments:

Post a Comment