Friday, October 11, 2013

[ fashion ] :: ModCloth stylish surprise

Woot! I have a new blog label [ fashion ] and some new duds from ModCloth.

I posted about ModCloth's Stylish Surprise the other day - for $15 you get a "surprise" article of clothing in your size that normally ranges in price from $30-$300. So I ordered two surprises.

Gillybean's order arrived before mine - she got a pair of shoes that are absolutely adorable and a killer dress. I was really nervous! It really is a gamble what you will receive...will it fit? Will you like it? Will you actually wear it?

When I first opened the box, I saw something rust-colored (yuck) and something royal blue (yay).


I opened this skirt first: The Breathtaking Tiger Lillies Skirt, retail $49.99. I may not like the color, but this is hands down, the most flattering skirt ever. The more I look at that rust color, the more I think it's perfect for fall and it goes with a ton of things I already have. The Hubs helped me pick out an outfit (he says it needs heels...) and said he would take a picture later. I'm lucky to have a husband who tells me what looks good and what doesn't. What a saint.

I give this skirt a 3/5 for quality (it's polyester), a 3/5 for color, but a 5/5 for fit. Holy cow, it looks good. If I order this in black, then I'll probably size down so it will fit better in the waist.


Next up, this blue dress. ModCloth calls it the Sci-Fi Heroine Dress, retail $47.99. I think I'm a little too booby and too tall for it, but The Hubs insists it looks good (but I think with tall boots, or else I show way too much leg!).

I give this skirt a 4/5 for quality, a 5/5 for color (it's less navy and more royal blue), and a 2/5 for fit.  It is a silhouette that I like, but the waist band hits a little high on the bust and the zipper and snaps around the neck are not my style.


Now - the verdict. 

Do I like my clothes? I am in love with the skirt, and am still on the fence about the dress (even though it is flattering). If I can't figure out if I love the dress (and if I'll actually wear it) then it will go on eBay ($15 + shipping).

Would I normally buy these? Nope! But I'm glad to get to try something different.

How much did I save? Excluding shipping, I paid $30 for clothes that retail for  $97.98 ($67.98 off retail).

Would I buy a Stylish Surprise again? Yep! Next time, I'll buy 4. If all else fails, I can make my money back on eBay or give the clothes as gifts.

What do you think? Did I score a good deal?

- Maggie White

P.S. - The Hubs took a picture of me dorking around in my new skirt. He is so patient. I paired my skirt with a plain white t-shirt and my favorite scarf. I look like a pumpkin!


No comments:

Post a Comment